Friday, September 02, 2005

New Orleans please don’t go.

When shall I hear the marching band with its big brass instruments and its pounding drums walking down Bourbon St, or the Zydeco bands whose music would spill out into the streets nightly?
When shall I see the cities of the dead built and maintained with love, or the genuine hospitality and smiles of the people?
When shall I smell that dirty south air that made one feel at home, or the swamp flowers that seemed to be placed there by the hand of God?
When will I taste that sweet Cajun and Creole Cuisine that would ease my very soul, or the spirits we drank that were made even sweeter by the good company?
It was a nervous and beautiful city that took my breath away. An explosion of color and joy where every night was a celebration of life! It was a unique place where nightmares and dreams held hands as they strolled through the Parishes. It was a hollowed ground where the saints could let their hair down and enjoy earthly pleasures. A dark piece of history that was filled with an oppressed people whose true freedom came much to late. They smiled as the world filled their streets and lived carelessly. They smiled as they picked up after us…they were just happy to be apart of our joy for a little while. The Acadian and Creole people were bound and determined to make a home, but what they built was a true American Shangri-La
GIVE ME MARDI GRAS!
GIVE ME FRENCH QUARTER!
GIVE ME VOODOO!
GIVE ME CRAWFISH ETOUFFEE!
And I will give my heart…
New Orleans please don’t go.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home